Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Profanity in the Classroom

In grade school and high school, I feel as if profanity has no place. If the student is not allowed to conduct themselves that way, the teacher should not either. My parents always said that profanity is for the uneducated, which I don't necessarily agree with at all. However, I do think that it shows an inability to express oneself with other, less offensive terms. Berk said, "Consider the plethora of unusual words you can use to express your elation or discontent."

I do agree with that, and I often try to tell myself to not swear, and to use my words better.

Currently, I have two teachers that are swearing up a storm in two different classes. In college, I believe that it is acceptable. When it first happened, I was actually surprised, but now, it catches my attention and brings me back into the discussion. Both teachers are just laid back kind of guys, and I appreciate the laid-back attitude of their classrooms. Swears do not offend me in the slightest, but I know they do offend some, and you can tell who's uncomfortable when it happens in class. I think these teachers do not preconceive how or when they swear. It just happens. In that way, I'm alright with it. Makes the teachers seem on our level during discussion, and just human.

Does swearing look bad upon a teacher and make them lose respect?



No comments:

Post a Comment