Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Response to Shelby: Does our liberal arts curriculum at MCLA encourage the pursuit of knowledge for knowledge's sake?

I love the question, and I agree with it wholeheartedly. I often never paid attention to things outside of my interests, and the core curriculum has forced me to pay attention to everything. I never thought that environmental studies would ever interest me, but they did, and they now do. I believe that I have received a much better education than my peers at other institutions due to the fact that I stepped out of my major and learned a lot more than I ever would anywhere else. MCLA curriculum teaches students to be lifelong learners. Maybe in the future, I’ll pick up a book that usually had no interest to me, just to see if I like it. I believe that MCLA encouraged me to learn, and continue learning, just because its there, and you might even like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment